Who doesn’t love going to a party and seeing a big tray of shrimp? The only time it gets better is when the shrimp are bigger, it contains garlic, a smidge of heat and A LOT of butter!
I picked up a pack of U15 shrimp (under 15 shrimp per pound) from Costco for less than $15.00. While they may not be one of those monster tiger prawns that classify as U2-3 but I was very impressed by the size of these. They certainly made me even more excited to smoke them up!
- Turn your pellet smoker on to smoke and eventually bring the heat up to 250 degrees. I used my favorite competition blend of smoker pellets but you can try this recipe with your favorite pellets.
- If your shrimp come with their shells on (like mine did) you’ll want to remove this. I left the tails on but there is no reason why you can’t remove these as well. The shrimp I purchased already had been deveined but if yours have not, this would be the time to remove these as well.
- Give the shrimp a good coating of your favorite cajun seasoning. I’m a big fan of Old Bay seasoning salt which you can pick up at any store. If your lazy like me, Amazon will ship directly to your house too.
- After seasoning your shrimp, add them to the disposable baking tin. Don’t worry too much about presentation as you’ll be “tossing” the shrimp during the smoke to ensure even cooking.
- Add the minced garlic, pads of butter and lemon wedges.
- Once your smoker has hit 250 degrees, place your shrimp inside for the next 35 minutes.
- After 20 minutes check on your shrimp. You’ll likely notice that some are starting to turn orange while others are still showing the translucent grey color. I used a spoon to toss the shrimp to redistribute
- Once the shrimp reach 165 degrees they are ready to come off the smoker. For these shrimp, it took about 35 minutes. I recommend picking up a meat thermometer probe, they are fairly cheap and if your anything like me, it will save you from over/undercooking a few meals a year.
- Plate your shrimp with your favorite sides or serve up as an amazing appetizer. Enjoy!
Enjoy this recipe? Consider supporting this website
Buy your bbq pellets via this amazon link and you’ll support the site at no additional cost to you.