Tri-tip is a cut of beef I’ve wanted to smoke forever. The reality is that it’s been really difficult to get a hold of this cut and the few times I have seen it the prices were out of the world. However, I recently saw a display at my local Costco with a ton of tri-tip at a reasonable rate. I immediately grabbed one and this brings us to today’s post. Enjoy!
If you love smoked beef I also suggest you check my other steak recipes.
- smoked sirloin steak
- smoked ribeye steak
- smoked tbone steak
- smoked porterhouse steak
- smoked filet mignon steak
Ingredients/equipment for preparing beef tri-tip:
Note that this tri-tip that I picked up was already seasoned. However, if yours isn’t seasoned I highly recommend a simple black pepper and salt combination.
- One beef sirloin tri-tip (mine was roughly 2.5 lbs)
- two tbsp olive oil (for reverse sear in cast iron skillet)
- Turn your smoker on and bring to 225 degrees
- Remove your tri-tip from the package and pat dry
- Apply your preferred seasoning (mine came pre-seasoned)
- Place the tri-tip into the smoker
- Use an internal probe to identify when the tri-tip reaches 120-125 degrees F.
- Remove the tri-tip from the smoker and set it aside while you warm up your cast iron skillet.
- Place a cast-iron skillet on high heat. Add the olive oil and bring to temperature.
- Once your olive oil gets hot place your tri-tip in the cast iron skillet. Allow to seer for about 60 seconds before flipping to the other side. You may choose to also seer the sides of your tri-tip but tri-tips can be a bit of an irregular shape making this a bit difficult.
Smoking this sirloin tri-tip to 120 degrees took about 65 minutes. However, I highly recommend that you cook to your final temperature and use a probe to accurately read the internal temperature. As a friendly reminder, you want to pull the tri-tip off the smoker about 5-10 degrees prior to your perfect done temp to allow room for your reverse sear.
Recipe Step By Step (How-To) Images
Enjoy this recipe? Consider supporting this website
Buy your bbq pellets via this amazon link and you’ll support the site at no additional cost to you.